According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, discipline is defined as, "to train or develop by instruction and exercise especially in self-control; to impose order upon."
As mothers, we likely often think of this word in reference to raising our children. How we handle their discipline. Do we spank, give time outs or withhold privileges? And, why are we having to deal with this same situation again?!
Yes, I think this kind of discipline goes along with the kind of discipline that I am referring to. But it is not the kind I want to focus on for right now.
I'm thinking more along the lines of self-control, moderation and not living in extremes. Looking at that above definition again - I notice a few things:
* discipline requires training
* discipline requires instruction; teaching
* discipline requires exercise; practice in using it!
* discipline requires self-control; saying no to myself
* discipline brings order; peace
These things invite a few questions:
* Why is this important?
* Who oversees the training I require?
* Where do I find the instruction and training I need on this subject?
* When will I find the motivation and time to practice this?
* How far am I committed to going to learn this?
* What will the benefit be?
Let's unfold each of these individually and look at what the Bible says about this.
What comes to your mind when you read the above definition of discipline?