Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jesus!

We'll be eating this cake today at a Happy Birthday Jesus party! My friends in South Carolina got me started on this idea and I am hooked! So, we're doing it in Colorado this year!!

I found a recipe here - but am going to make some changes. We don't need a huge cake - so I want to only use one box of white cake mix to make the entire cake. I'm going to be on the lookout for some smaller round pans so that we can still make this tall, but it won't be as big around.

So, one box of white cake mix - mixed according to box directions. Evenly divide batter into three bowls. Tint one bowl red, one green and one black (or add cocoa instead).

Pour tinted batters into round cake pans and bake according to box.

Start with the black or chocolate layer on the bottom and top with white frosting. Next layer is red and then green. Finish with all white frosting.

Add a red heart to the top of the cake with red frosting and use one red candle. Note: ours always has a red heart on top of it and I'm not sure what it is technically supposed to mean though I could make up lots of ideas.

Round cake symbolizes Jesus being born into the world (earth is round).
Layer one: sin
Layer two: His blood
Layer three: growing in our new life in Him
White frosting: purity or cleanness
Candle: Jesus is the light come into our world and into our hearts.

Sing Happy Birthday to Jesus, act out the Christmas story and add any other fun or unique ideas to celebrate His birth!!

9 comments:

Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

I think this is a great Christmas tradition. Have fun celebrating our Saviour's birth together!

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

This is a great idea... I would love to see a picture of the finished cake... I am a very visual person. I am going to keep this idea for next year as a new tradition to start.
Thanks,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I have heard of having a Party but I love the cake color ides! Will definatly have to incorporate that!

Deanna said...

Hi Monica!
Just stopping by to wish you and your deqr family a very Blessed Chrstmas.

Warmly
Deanna :)

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the Merriest of Christmases!!!!

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

Love that idea! I wish we could see pictures of it! :) Hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family!

Please come visit me when you can. :) www.hersoutherncharm.blogspot.com
Jennifer

Katy said...

The cake sounds fantastic Monica! What a wonderful idea! :) I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas with your family! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Your unexpected post added beauty to our Christmas day. I have made birthday cakes before but this one was great! THANK YOU for the wonderful idea. I frosted it with white and then sprinkled clear sugar cookie sprinkles all over with three candles on top. I am not too handy with a cake decorator bag. We sang Happy Birthday to Jesus and I wrote out cards for each family members to read a verse from Luke 2. It was a hit, all cuz I have such a cool blogger on line Titus 2 woman as a friend in Christ. Hope your Cabin Christmas is a dreamy holiday with many Smiles, Angie in TX

melissa said...

thanks - I'll be making this recipe next year!