Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Fun: Week Two

Here's what we've been up to in the Christmas department this past week!

Boat parade at the downtown waterfront area! Sorry for the picture quality - I mostly just want to preserve the memory for the little ladies!

Hot chocolate bar, peppermint brownies and a viewing of The Polar Express with two ladies who stayed with us traveling with a Christian University praise and worship team.

Note: I know there will be varying opinions on viewing of movies with Santa as the theme. Truthfully, I struggled with this more than I thought I would. In the end, I could not think of a different movie to watch instead, but I don't think I will make plans to watch this again anytime soon. It just felt like a complete contradiction in what I'm trying to teach them about Christmas.

Play in the leaves! Not at all Christmasy, but something we did this week!

Had Emily's Sunday School teacher and her three children over for a fun morning! We made snow globes,

birdseed pinecones,

snowman cookies and had fun playing together!


Making, delivering and eating of Christmas cookies! And, the decorating of gingerbread houses!

How about you?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great week ya'll had. Thanks for sharin these sweet and special times with us. May the Lord Bless you and your celebrations of HIS coming!!tammyp

Wendi said...

Looks like lots of fun!

Unknown said...

What a fun, full week, Monica! We did applesauce ornaments, Christmas letters, I worked on a lap quilt project, and we did 4-H yesterday...I a few pics at my blog! Have a great weekend too!

Anonymous said...

It's been a few years but my pastor used The Polar Express in church to emphasize faith. He showed the part with the bell and how you don't always have to see to believe but when you do believe you can see. It was a really good sermon that I still remember.

Katy said...

Looks like a wonderful week! So fun and exciting! What wonderful memories you are making! I love all the pictures! Have a great weekend! :)

Mary Ann said...

I loved the picture of the boat parade. Some friends of ours were down there visiting their son and daughter-in-law(also friends of ours) and were able to take in the boat parade and Christmas festival. My first thought when I heard boat parade was boats on trailers being hauled down Main Street. Not quite! haha

Kisha said...

What wonderful things to do. I love the idea of a hot chocolate bar.

Anonymous said...

I would like to suggest the book "Santa, Are You For Real?" by Harold Myra. It helps explain the giving of gifts and the legend of Saint Nicholas from a Christian perspective. Saint Nicholas was a Christian who lived 300 years after Christ and, because of his love for the Lord, gave gifts in secret to his neighbors. You might find the book helpful. My son and I read it last night.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

LOL Love the ginger boy under the avalanche of sprinkles!

Smiles,
Lea

Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchen said...

I've got a movie to recommend. Beginners Bible has some movies out, and you can get them on DVD now. Each DVD has 3 stories on it. One of them has the story of Creation, the story of the Nativity and the story of Easter. You could just show the nativity one.
My kids love these movies!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking at the snow globes and wondering why others haven't asked how you make them. I know they are wondering just like I am.

A happy heart at home said...

I love the absolute joy on your children's faces! And the gingerbread house looks pretty good, too! :)

~Susan

Monica Wilkinson said...

The snow globes are empty baby food jars with tiny ornaments glued in. I'm not sure I can recommend my method as the glue was very tricky and a few of the jars leaked. We'll have to try again sometime!