Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Texas Sheet Cake

Over the weekend, I needed a dessert for a church potluck picnic. I thought about brownies, but realized all my pans that size were in use. So, I thought of making this which I hadn't made in years! It takes less eggs than brownies and uses a cookie sheet - so it makes a lot which is also handy for a potluck!

A fun memory about this cake is that our high school English teacher used to make this for us on occasion and we always looked forward to it!

Texas Cake:

2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick butter
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. water
4 Tbsp. cocoa
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla

Bring shortening, butter, water and cocoa to a boil. Pour over dry ingredients. Mix well with remaining ingredients. Spread into a prepared 11x16 jelly roll pan and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Texas Cake Icing:

1/2 stick butter
4 Tbsp. cocoa
6 Tbsp. milk
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. nuts

Bring butter, cocoa and milk to a boil. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and nuts. Beat well. Frost cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. This time, I was out of nuts - so sprinkled the top with M&M's for a little crunch!

14 comments:

Katy said...

Yummy! That looks absolutely scrumptious!!!!! :)

Wendi said...

That looks great! I might make that to take along at Thanksgiving. I am always looking for something easy that can feed a crowd.

*carrie* said...

Monica,

I hadn't had this in ages, and then, that's what a MOPS mom just brought me on our special traveling plate! Delish!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm -- wish I could have some! I used to regularly take this to church potlucks, but we seldom have those anymore. Love you, Mom

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

This and my pumpkin bars are my two favorite "cakes" to make, especially if I'm expecting to feed more than the three of us.

I don't use the nuts since my teenage son has an aversion to them (not an allergy, he just doesn't like them). :)

I first knew the cake as Tulip Time Brownies, when I lived in Holland, Michigan. It was years later that I found the real name was Texas Sheet Cake.

Brie said...

This is one of my favorites! I was actually going to make it a couple weeks ago, but don't have many sweet eaters in the house so decided to wait until I have a bigger crowd.

Annette said...

Looks YUMMY! I will have to give this a try.

Lee said...

Monica!
This is my absolute FAVORITE dessert. I could eat half the pan myself! YUM!

Amy said...

That looks yummy and your picture is GREAT!

gail said...

i think this might be the same recipe that my aunt in mississippi gave my mom. i haven't made it in years! since it came from our aunt i've always thot of it as a southern recipe --- ??? guess if you call it texas, it must be. tho until recently i haven't equated texas to the south.

Melissa said...

Your cake looks yummy! I didn't make it to the dessert table but if I had, I would have wondered if a certain little "M&M" made it.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a good recipe for Jennifer to try! And I can guarantee you it won't last long at our house.LOL! Dawn

Sugarcoma said...

this is one of my favorite desserts, but i can't make it very often or i pay the price when my pants don't fit!

i never thought of adding m&m's. sounds wonderful.

Unknown said...

oh my I haven't see any one use a texas Sheet Cake in ages. My mom (back in the day when it was ok to bring things to school) would make it for my brithday at school. Yummy memories!
Katrina in AZ