Friday, October 03, 2008

A Crafter's Walk Through Proverbs 31: Garden Sign

"She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard." ~ Proverbs 31: 16
She makes thoughtful purchases that contribute to her home. Once again, she is providing for her family by the way she saves, makes wise purchases, and even by providing food she's grown.

In this case, she looks for a good piece of land. She wants to know that it will work for the intended purpose of creating a place to grow food for her family or to sell. This is not a haphazard decision or an impulse purchase.

Not only does she put the thought into this purchase, she has earnings set aside for the planting and she does the planting. This is no small task! And, we must consider the ongoing maintenance of such an endeavor. It will require her time and attention for many days to come.

I like the thought that she is a saver - she has prepared for this by setting money carefully aside. She is a planner - she has thought through her idea, done her research. When the time comes for her purchase, she is ready to make a wise one. She is a doer - not only did she have the idea and save the money, she is following through and doing it!

Her investment is life-giving which builds up her home. She has increased her responsibility and her bounty. Growing things picture such beauty to us. They are planted, watered, tended, cared for and harvested. All in due season. It is a picture of staying connected to Our Father so we can be watered, tended and cared for by Him so that He can reap a harvest from our lives.

Are my purchases well thought out? Do they bring life and peace to our home? Am I saving for the future? Am I planning ways to contribute to the furtherance of our home? Am I bringing life through these decisions?

God brought to mind to create a sign for the gate of my garden. I hope you will enjoy making one and bringing His Word into our homes more and more.

Supplies needed:
unfinished wood plaque available at craft stores
craft paint for main color and two colors for flowers
paintbrush
pencil with an eraser
black thin tip marker
Polyurethane spray
piece of ribbon or fabric
staple gun or hot glue
newspaper or waxed paper

Start with your piece of wood - lay a newspaper or waxed paper underneath.

Paint the entire thing your desired base color. Let dry.

Choose a color to paint the flowers on your sign. And, now is the time to use the eraser on your pencil.

Dab the eraser into the paint and "stamp" three dots in each corner as shown.

Finish it off to five dots. Repeat for each corner.

Halfway between each corner, you can add a smaller flower if desired. Stamp two dots vertically as shown.

Then, stamp two dots horizontally as shown.

Using your second accent color, stamp a dot in the center of the flowers at each corner. Just wipe off your eraser or rinse under water and use the same one for this color.

Then, use the edge of the eraser to create a tiny dot in the center of the middle flowers.

Again, using the edge of your eraser, create tiny dots, between the flowers, around the edge of your sign.

Using a pencil, hand write "Garden" in the middle of your sign.

Now, trace over your writing with a black fine tip marker, embellish with small leaves if desired.

Hand write the words from Proverbs 31:16 around the edges of your sign. And add lines to sides of "Garden" lettering if desired.

Using the edge of the eraser once again, create a circle of tiny dots around the word "Garden" - use whichever color you like best.

Select a piece of fabric (shown) or ribbon to create a hanger for your sign. Staple in place. You could also use a small nail or try a strong glue to adhere hanger. When you are finished, spray with a coat or two of polyurethane spray to help your sign withstand the elements outdoors.

Please share your projects! I'd love to see what you come up with!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the description in Proverbs 31 of the care she brings to her home. Reminds me of two other young women I know who are doing that very well! :)

Cute garden sign and great step-by-step instructions!
Love you, Mom

Tammy said...

How pretty! I see those wooden signs at Michaels, but I never know what I would do with them. :)

letterstoelijah said...

Love the thought that went into this post. Very lovely!

Amy said...

Very sweet- your energy amazes me!! I love you, my friend!

Lorna said...

What a great project - I love this scripture. Thank you for the great tute too.

Stephanie said...

Nice sign...but do you think you could have come up with it yourself -- or do you real think God put it in your head to do it? I'm curious? Sounds a bit self-centered that you always think God is putting things in your heart and in your head. Especially your entry a few weeks back regarding the storm coming....you prayed for wisdom on when to leave?? The radio stations and news on TV were telling people when to leave. I think you need to see that sometimes God does delegate to others and speaks through others now just to you.

Anonymous said...

At first Stephanie's comment seemed a bit harsh, but there is some wisdom behind it. Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

Wisdom is inspired by God! God DOES speak to us through others but God doesn't necessarily speak to us all the same way because our needs are different. Leaving God out of our choices no matter how small is self-centered and we are called to be God centered.

Creatively Missy said...

Really cute project...only if I did it I would have to use someone else's handwriting. I don't have a steady hand when it comes to writing on crafts! LoL

I really enjoy reading about your crafting..especially the Proverbs 31 crafts. (I'm getting ready to work on the woman of worth frame)

I included you in a post on my blog (that I recently started) about blogs I read and why I like them. If you would rather not have a stranger post about you just let me know and I will remove it. It's the "from the heart" blog in case you wanted to read it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy said...

Hey...I just wanted to let you know that I love, love, LOVE, your blog! You have so many cute ideas. This sign is way cute!!!

Oh and I also LOVE grey cloudy days!!! The greyer the better...I love to light my candles and feel the coziness!!! I am so glad I have found another person like me, lol! My house tends to be way cleaner on grey days than sunny ones. Grey days are like my nesting days! I just love them!

Thanks for your creativeness! :)

Kathy said...

Stephanie...I think it is very possible that God can give her personal revelation. Everyone has The Light of Christ. She seems to be a woman who relies on Christ very much to guide her as a mother/wife/homemaker. It is obvious to me that she has complete faith in her Father In Heaven to help her in every aspect of her life. This is not self centerness....This is a faithful woman of God.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing self-centered either about Monica or her reliance on God. In fact, self-centeredness is the opposite: Self-absorption with oneself and one's own abilities. Monica is one of the most genuine people I know.

Birdie said...

What a lovely crafty site! I could spend a long time here for sure *smile* I'm a helpless follower now.
Have a blessed day.

Anonymous said...

Have not written before, but want you to know I think your blog is great. I look forward to reading it everyday.

The Liberty Belle said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

I love that verse, and your post. Great idea about the sign.

*carrie* said...

Another lovely idea, Monica! Thanks for sharing your God-given creativity with all of us.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Stephanie,

I have been thinking, praying and pondering your comment quite a bit. I am out of town this weekend - but am planning to write a post in response in the near future.

Thanks -
Monica

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica, thank you for sharing the beauty you love to bring to your home with the rest of us. :)

God communicates with His children in many different ways, including Scripture, bringing thoughts to mind, and advice from authorities. I am thankful that you know the source of wisdom! It seems to me that claiming the ideas you share were all your own would be the self-centered path. Love you, Mom

Molly said...

Beautiful! I have really been enjoying your Prov. 31 craft series! Thanks for taking all the time to develop it and share it!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing to me. You continue to be used as a vessel of God to inspire me and many others! Thank you for listening to the voice of God and to share it with us!!!

homeschooldawn said...

I really enjoy your craft ideas. I love this one in particular and appreciate the truth and admonishment it projects.
Keep seeking the Lord.
Dawn