Friday, August 08, 2008
Simplify Life Week: Day Five
A Need to Simplify
As I worked on this topic and series of posts this week - I became aware more and more of areas I need to be more intentional about simplifying.
We could probably all name several things that are complicating our lives - and I see that as the opposite of simplicity. Simplicity adds to our lives, complication takes away.
So, as I look at my life - what are the things that add complication? Are they worth ignoring if they take away from my life? Please note here that I am aware some situations cannot be reduced to being either simple or complicated. Sometimes, we will have complicated things in our lives that we cannot change. However, if we commit to changing some of the things we can - we will have more energy for those things that require more of us.
I'm sure that I'm not finished coming up with a list of things that need simplifying - here are a few thoughts though:
* Should I continue to head out every Monday morning while leaving my three littles at home with Grandma to hit CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens? Yes, the deals are compelling - but is this simplifying my life or complicating it? Would a simpler solution be to go out on Sunday evening, get these errands done and then spend an hour at a coffee shop journaling, praying and spending time with God? This is something I've been wanting to implement and it seems to sound like a good scenario. Or, is the better option to skip the stops and just do the time with God?
* Am I worried and anxious about pleasing others? Yes - and honestly, that complicates my life.
* How can I balance my desires to spend time doing crafty projects? What is appropriate for my schedule and season of life?
* Working on paring down our home, excess.
* Outside commitments that take me away from the home - reduce and examine.
These are just a few thoughts - I'd love to hear what's on your heart on this topic.
Hope you've enjoyed this week of talking about simplifying. I have purposefully taken a very different approach than the world often takes on this topic and would continue to enjoy your thoughts on all these ideas! Thanks for all the great comments this week!