Michelle wrote and mentioned that they make their home available to others while they are going to be away. Great idea! She is looking for quick and simple, yet welcoming touches to include in her home for guests she may not always know.
Here are some thoughts that come to my mind:
* Make a welcome note. A small sign on the door welcoming your guests or a note in the kitchen or a place they'd easily see it will make them feel welcome right away. If you have any instructions you need to leave, this would be a good place to include this as well. Here's one idea I've used a lot.
* Make things easy to find. Set out extra towels on the sink area or near the shower or extra dish towels in the kitchen.
* All homes have little quirks, if you think there is something you need to make your guests aware of, maybe a post-it note stuck to that area would be a big help to them. Directions on how to use your TV may also be greatly appreciated as each one seems to have different things to press! Here's an idea on how to explain using your television.
* Since you'll likely have clean sheets on the beds already - how about including a small card that wishes them a good night sleep or includes a Bible verse, if appropriate to your guests. You could include a mint or small package of cookies to step it up even more.
* How about a bowl of fruit in the kitchen or mixing up the dry ingredients for muffins? Set out the muffin tin, bowl, spoon and recipe so they can finish them up quickly in the morning. You could even put the wet ingredients in a bowl in the refrigerator all ready to go.
* Do you have any flowers blooming in your yard? Cut one or a few and put them on the table for a pretty centerpiece your guests can enjoy during their stay.
* Will your company have children with them? How about a box of popsicles in the freezer or bubble bath in the tub. These little things will mean a lot to those who are away from home!
I'm sure there are many more ideas and I'd love to hear your suggestions as well!