Thursday, July 17, 2008

All Wrapped Up

First of all, look at that sweet little face!

My friend, Grace, gave me the best gift recently! Here is the history -

When I was a new mom, I carried my only baby all around myself. No wrap, no sling, no Snugli or other carrier - my arms were it. Fine with just one baby, right?

Along comes baby number two - sweet and petite Rachel. My mother-in-law bought me a Snugli and I loved it for her, though it did pull on my neck some. Rachel was so little, I don't really know how big of a deal it was. Oh, and there is the deal of being so short (5'0") that even when I have it tightened as far as it would go - I am still too short for the smallest setting. So, it hung off my neck more - but as I said, with Rachel this was ok since she was small. At least I thought it was.

I started using the Snugli again with Samuel - and he isn't a huge baby, just average, but bigger than Rachel was. And, it was pulling on my neck a lot. Well, I went to visit my friend Grace and her neighbor makes these great wraps. She let me try hers first and said if I liked it, she would give me one.

We tried it at Target - and Samuel was so happy and content in it, he really seems to enjoy being in it! I was sold from the beginning. I've only learned how to tie it on this one way so far, but it comes with a cd and printed instructions for tying it on lots of different ways. I think the two things that make it work so great are:
* it is adjustable - not one body size fits all, you tie it onto you, so it fits you
* it spreads the weight out across your shoulders and back instead of just hanging from your neck

Doesn't my little papoose look so cute all bundled up in there? He always seems to enjoy being in the wrap and I love carrying him this way. Grace described it perfectly, when you have your baby in a wrap - it is like they are part of you, it doesn't feel weird or uncomfortable, you just move as one and it is so comfortable.

Thanks for such a great gift, Grace! P.S. You can also check out Grace's diaper/wipes cases, very very cute and useful for so many different things! I have two of these and it is all I take in to church - no diaper bag, just the case with a travel size wipes and a diaper or two.

20 comments:

Melissa said...

I have a diaper case that Grace made and I love it. It holds about seven diapers and fits great into my diaper bag. Thank you Grace for my diaper case!

Melissa

Katy said...

That is so so sweet!! He looks soo comfy and happy in that! His face is adorable in that pic!! :)

I am 5'2" and always had trouble when I tried to use a snugli...so i never used anything with all three of my kids! I am so glad you were able to find something that works well for you and samuel! :)

Anonymous said...

Two cuties! I'm thankful Grace introduced you to these since it has been a help. I've seen other moms using them and they look great! Love you, Mom

Tracy said...

How wonderful! I'm 4'11", and could never wear a baby carrier. The babies hung to my knees! Too bad my youngest is nine!

asnipofgoodness said...

You two look terrific, and Samuel looks so snug!!! What a great gift.I also love the fabric that it is made out of. I love how you worded that... we move as one.

Anonymous said...

Aww, that is so cute! If I am ever blessed with another one I might have to buy one of those! I have never found a comfortable carrier! Doesn't help my latest baby was 8lbs 11oz at birth. She now at 21 months old weighs about as much as her almost 4 year-old sister :)

Congratulations on your gift! How sweet! You must be quite a friend!

Ruth said...

Which cute little face? They are both cute :-) You look like Katie Holmes!
Yep, wraps are great! That one looks very comfortable.

GeonHui's Bakery said...

How cute! I have a wrap carrier that I love, I still use it with my 9 month old and she's not a small little gal :)

Love the fabric and your little guy is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Samuel is just so cute. He always seems to have such inquisitive eyes and be so happy.

melissa said...

looks great, and your son is a cutie!

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

That is the cutest thing...would it work for my 13 year old? KIDDING of course. And who wants a 13 year old strapped to them, right?

He really does look adorable and I almost wish I had a little one so I could use this!!! (almost...she says as she remembers the sleep deprivation)

Have a great day Monica.

Tracey said...

Great idea! I want one!

Tamra said...

I've used a sling for all three of my girls but next time around I'm gonna get a wrap like that because while the sling is great there are some things I can't do like hang out laundry. I feel the baby will slip out the bottom. Anyway, love your wrap. Looks great.

Jenn said...

I discovered the ABC wrap with my 2nd child - and I LOVED it! My daughter loved it and I could actually get stuff done during the day!

Heather said...

So sweet! I made a sling for my first little girl and carried her around all the time. My second was born in May, so I rarely used it. Samuel must love being so close to Mommy! I love the colors of your sling, too. :)

*carrie* said...

I'm breaking my "Thursday rule" because I needed to look up a recipe on your site before I go to the store. When I saw that cutie pie, I couldn't help but comment. Can't wait to see him! And bring the wrap--I want to give it a try!

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

LOVE it! What a cool pattern! I have a bunch of different homemade slings from Grace that I can't wait to break out again with the next baby. :o) Hooray for babywearing!

Leslie said...

Aren't slings FABULOUS?? I didn't have one with my first baby either. But I made one for my second and third children. I love them!

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

I love baby sling/wraps. My Emma was in it constantly. In fact, when I bought one for my sister when she was pregnant with her first, I wore it around the house for an evening carrying one of the girls' baby dolls...

Loretta said...

Hey, another mama only 5 foot tall! Me too! I love wearing my now two year old. She never gets tired of it either. I've used it with her since she was 4 months old when we moved to Ghana. Now that we are moving back to the states (in under 2 weeks!), I'll still use it some. See my blog post about my Ghana wrap for the baby: http://veganfootprints.blogspot.com/2008/06/keep-it-simple.html

Go baby wearers!
Loretta
http://veganfootprints.blogspot.com/