Friday, March 21, 2008

Easter Ideas

I had a comment from Michelle requesting info on what we're planning to do regarding sharing Easter with our little ones. I've been racking my brain and the internet for great ideas for young children, and honestly there doesn't seem to be a lot out there that really jumps out at me.

Here are some thoughts of what I plan to incorporate this weekend:

* Make a cross out of brown kraft paper and mount on the wall in our living room. A great starting point of explaining the story. Read the account from a toddler Bible. Use props such as a grave cloth, stems from a rose bush for a crown of thorns, 30 dimes for pieces of silver, etc... to make the story "come alive".
* Make a tomb out of couch cushions ~ sort of act out that part of the story to give them the idea of what a tomb is and why it is so great that it is empty on day three!
* Make a special breakfast for Easter morning ~ I'm planning on cinnamon rolls baked on a cookie sheet in a cross shape.
* On Good Friday, make hot cross buns. (This won't be happening this year, but it is something I had planned on doing and hope to do in the future.)
* Tell a story using the Wordless Book and teach the song that goes with it.

Other ideas I saw that were great include:
* I loved this idea from Janna to create a Hosanna palm! And, look at this great Lent Basket she came up with!
* Joy shared several ideas including Baking Resurrection Biscuits or Cookies.

Please share other ideas that would be appropriate for including in celebrating of this Easter season and teaching our children the true reason we do celebrate!

14 comments:

65656 said...

Go to http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/easter.html

Monica Wilkinson said...

Amy, Thanks for this link - lots of great info here!

Katy said...

Great ideas Monica!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I bought a tube of cinnamon rolls for Easter am before reading your post. Now I will use your great idea of baking them in the shape of a cross. You inspire me to be a more purposeful parent!
Angie

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing these great ideas!
Kristyn

Bella @ Lil Daisies said...

My mom bought Resurrection Eggs for my girls. They loved it.
Check Amazon. There is a book that goes with it.

Also there are several books we read (you could do this while enjoying your cinnamon buns,etc.)

One of the books is: The Parable Of The Lily by Liz Curtis Higgs

Have a blessed Easter. Bella

Liz said...

I was also going to suggest resurrection eggs. We made our own and told the story as we assembled our eggs we did this today and then they are going to repeat the story back to Daddy tonight showing them his eggs. I just did a Goggle search for resurrection eggs and were given many great sites then I chose which eggs I wanted to do. It was a wondeful lesson.

Christa said...

I've recently read about an easter cookie...the site is

http://www.cherbearsden.com/cookies.html

I plan to do this with my little ones (ages 5,3, and 22 mo.). It has Bible verses to explain to the children the story and it's importance.
Christa

melissa said...

do you have a good recipe for cinnamon rolls? :)

Heart 4 My Home said...

Wishing you and yours a very blessed Easter. May we all live with Easter in our hearts! Praise GOD that our Redeemer LIVES!

~Babychaser~ said...

These are great ideas! I'm going to save this post in my favorites to do next year!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love the interactiveness of using things around the house to get the children involved. Thanks for sharing these great ideas with us. HE IS RISEN!!!!!tammyp

Farmhouse Blessings said...

What awesome ideas! It really helps our little ones to get a sense of specialness (is that a word?) of the Resurrection celebration! Thanks for sharing.

Cindy said...

I found your blog too late to share our ideas for Easter this year, but our family did two new things this year. You can see them on my blog (http://cindy-graciousgoodness.blogspot.com/). One is a neat cross craft and another is resurrection rolls. My little ones loved both.