Friday, March 21, 2008

Decorating for Spring: S-P-R-I-N-G Mobile

I had planned our party for the front porch, but it was a bit chilly and windy for this! So, we improvised and had our party in the living room.

My plan included creating this mobile to hang over the table - during our improvised plan, we hung it from the ceiling fan in the living room.

I started with a grapevine wreath - these are very inexpensive and available at craft supply stores and even Wal-Mart for only a few dollars.

Then I edited a clip art tulip to create the template for cutting out the letters. Print the template here.

I printed out these letters and then used the template to cut out the flower shape around them.

I did double of each letter and affixed them together with double stick tape. Then, I had them laminated. Note: Cut them out at the store after laminating and ask if they will run them through again individually to really get a good seal. Since I used thicker paper and it was two layers, it needed this extra step to really adhere well.

I punched a hole and used scrap ribbons and trims to hang these from the wreath. I also used scraps of ribbon and trim to decorate plastic eggs inspired by these. Hang these as well.
If you don't want to make the mobile - the letters would also make a cute banner or garland!

4 comments:

Amy said...

You are so cute! What a beautiful mobile! That looks so lovely!

Katy said...

Very cute!!! I love how your mind thinks!!! :o) Question though...how do you store all your holiday stuff for the next year? That is my biggest problem. I hate to decorate for the seasons because I don't have good storage for stuff after the season is past...know what i mean? I would love to hear how you do it! You always have such fun decor!

Sisterlisa said...

Looks fun Monica! I mentioned you today in my Stumbled Upon post:
http://homespunlife.blogspot.com/2008/03/stumbled-upon-while-homeschooling.html

Anonymous said...

Monica,
I don't know how I missed this post, but I love this mobile. I am thinking about tweaking this idea to hang fabric birds and ribbons from it to hang in my little girl's room. So cute!!
Elise