Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Decorating for Spring: Birdcage

I have a few Spring craft projects to share with you in the coming days and here is the first one! Years ago, I used a birthday gift card to Pier 1 and got this neat birdcage:

I used to have a plant in it and have had a hard time keeping a plant alive where it has been hanging. So, it is time to reuse it into something else! Spring time definitely came to mind, but the dark green color wasn't working in my mind for Spring. So, I painted it. I mixed some paint left from this with some paint in Emily's craft cabinet and came up with this:

Now it looked too new - I wanted to age it, so used some beige craft paint left from this. I rubbed the paint on with steel wool to age the overall cage. Next, I wanted to make a nest for the inside. I had some grapevine covered wire (floral department) and twisted it into a nest:

I filled this with some craft moss and these lovely eggs my Mom gave me last year for my birthday. (Note: the eggs came from here.) You'll see some more of these eggs in another project. I finished all of it off by covering it with a glass bell jar adorned with some cute aqua ric rac and chocolate polka dot ribbon! Here is the finished product:

Note: I found another birdcage a thrift store last year which is still awaiting its makeover. It was only $3 so keep your eyes open!

8 comments:

asnipofgoodness said...

I love, love, love this Monica!!! Where do you plan to display it? soooo cute!
I haven't found a cute place for us to meet yet. My house would be fine, but things will be crazy around here on a Saturday morning. I don't live far from where you need to be, so I'm trying to find somewhere near by. ttyl

Anonymous said...

So cute! Way to use your resources to make something darling. :) Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I love this idea, it is so cute, and I had to laugh because I live very close to The Country House, I love their store.
Kristyn in MD

Brie said...

Very cute, Monica! I can't wait until I have a craft room again so that I can start doing all my projects! (Or my own house for that matter so that I'll have a place to put them!)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!! I recently got a birdcage at a resale shop and filled it with a nest and robin's eggs and hung a tag with a nest stamped on it with aqua, green, and brown ribbon from the top. It is so fresh and springy. Can't wait to see more of your spring decorating ideas!
Glad to see you had special sister time too.
Elise

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

Unknown said...

Oh, I LOVE that! It would be such a perfect in my bathroom on my little plant chair.... I want to snatch it off the screen and stick it right there! (might sound bizarre but I have a birdhouse theme going on in my old country bathroom). You can see pics here;

http://prairieprologue.blogspot.com/2008/02/winsome-wednesday_27.html

Amy said...

That is super cute and very spring-like! Great idea- I am going to have to keep my eyes peeled for something like that!