Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Merry Christmas to YOU!

Here is the surprise little goodie I have for each of you - a garland that I created and you can download right here and make yourself!!! I'm excited that I figured this out! I created this fun little garland to pass along as a Christmas treat to each of you who visit here!

I have an old typewriter, and took pictures of the keys in black and white and edited them down to create this! Some of the letters are not as clear simply because they were worn on the typewriter! I printed the typewriter letters on velum paper - but you could use whatever you prefer. The letters will all need to be trimmed as I could only get the circle so round with a mouse, the edges are a little jagged before trimming.

The French Grid paper came from a notebook my sister brought me from France years ago that I've been hoarding - but am now enjoying using it!

Here is how to make your own garland:

* Choose small or large letters and print on desired paper. The smaller letters are shown in the banner displayed on our headboard and the larger ones are shown hanging in a window.
Typewriter Merry Christmas Small
Typewriter Merry Christmas Large

* Print French Grid Paper on regular white paper using a color printer.

* You'll need various scrapbooking paper (I found these great vintage looking papers at Hobby Lobby) or other colored paper you have on hand. I also used ribbon, double stick tape or a glue stick and small brads.

Cut out the typewriter letters and use double stick tape to adhere to a square of grid paper. Then, cut a piece of patterned paper for the back of all of that and affix together with a brad. I used a small hole punch to punch the corners and thread with ribbon!

If you're not up for making the garland - maybe you'll prefer this idea. You can also print out the letters and use for gift tie-ons, here are a couple of samples I made:

Merry Christmas! I've been so excited to share this with each of you - so I hope you can have fun making one this season! I just want each of you who have offered me your friendship to know that I appreciate you and am thankful for you! Enjoy!

I'd love to see some photos posted of what you all make with this - so let me know if you post a photo!

22 comments:

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

Oh Thank you, thank you! I'm really excited about this because I have been hemming and hawing over needing a garland for my fireplace and this will be just perfect!!!

Liisa said...

Thank you so much! I love the look of the garland and the tags are too cute!

Blessings,
Liisa

*carrie* said...

That looks really cool, Monica, and I'm glad you fianlly found a use for that paper!

Tracy said...

What a cute idea! Thank you, Monica!

being molded said...

Thank you, Monica! I love the garland and tags too!!

Leah said...

I would love to try this! Thanks for posting it, and for being willing to share so many of your great ideas!! =)

Merry Christmas,

~ Leah

Wendi said...

Love the idea of using this on gifts! This will be so fun to make. Thanks!

Tracy said...

Thank you! I have wrapped my presents in brown paper for years and I would love to use the typewriter letters on those! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Monica,
Thank you for this wonderful gift. I can't wait to get started and make it. This is so kind and thoughtful of you.
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Since its such a darkly printed item, I don't think I'd use it for tags- but would for a garland I might reuse next year.

Your article does give me the idea to use rubber stamped letters for tags on our gift bags. Maybe next year- since this year's tags are personalized ornaments made from clothepins someone gave me (the reindeer ornaments made from 3 clothespins- 2 face down for the body, one faced up for the head).

Montserrat said...

These are delightful and PERFECT for gift tags! Thanks for all the hard work and sharing it with us.

Katy said...

That is soo cute! I love the idea! The only bad thing for me is that i am running out of ink in my printer! :( But i love your ideas! God has given you a wonderful gift of creativity! ;)

Tamara said...

Love these...so cute! I love the idea of using the letters as gift tags. The French grid paper is great. I think it would be cute for wrapping small gifts!

Michelle said...

Cute idea - thanks for sharing it!

Gena said...

So cute! I love letter garlands. That was a wonderful idea. You are just so talented. Thank you for sharing.

The Frugal Shrink said...

That is SO cute!

Anonymous said...

That is very cute!! Love your headboard also!
Elise

Amy said...

Those are so cute, Monica! Thank you so much for sharing those!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so so much, how wonderful! I really hope I get this done this year, if I do I will make sure I let you know to check back at my blog. This is so nice of you, I enjoy your blog so so much!

Angela

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you!!!
made mine tonight and love it!!!
Going to put it in our breakfast nook over the window, what a great way to start the day!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Monica!!! Thank you! I will be making a trip to Hobby Lobby next week and coming up with a use for these!! Tell me, did you do the whole alphabet or just the letters for Merry Christmas? I would love to do some tags, but I need a K & and L among others. Tee, hee.

You are so sweet to share this with us!

Mockingbird Hill said...

Hi Monica...I was sent here in a round-about kind of way, but many thanks to you for offering this cool download! How nice of you to share your talent and ideas...have a wonderful Christmas!

Cassie