I am more than a little embarrassed to show this photo of how I've let the little ladies art supplies get out of control in one of our kitchen cabinets. But, to appreciate this project and in the spirit of remaining honest about sharing myself - here is the before:
Collective (gasp)!? Ok, now here's the rest of the story. We have a little nook at the end of our kitchen that is hard to use. It is behind a door and past the pantry. We used to have a buffet table and two stools there - but it was nothing more than a clutter catcher! You can kind of see it at the very end of the kitchen - this photo was taken during Spring Cleaning last year.
Anyway, the table and stools were left by a former room-mate of David's - so we had nothing invested in it. I sold it recently at a yard sale and have been so excited to have this cleared out. Then, I noticed the art supplies and started dreaming about what I'd like to store them in behind that door in the now empty nook.
I remembered this unused dresser in a closet in Emily's room and decided to add my touch to it! I sheepishly admit that I disliked this dresser so much I had thought about selling it too at the yard sale and now am so glad I didn't!
David made a trip to the shed and discovered we still had some usable paint left from painting the kitchen - then we found a can of black spray paint and here is how it ended:
I love it! I cut a "scarf" for the top from some black and white toile fabric my Mom had given me that I've been using sparingly! I set up a pencil sharpener I had gotten free on one of my deal-days and used all things we already had. And, I love that we still have some room to grow in here and I gained a kitchen cabinet, some closet space and a great storage space for the ladies art supplies!
I spent a total of $4 on this entire project and that was for a roll of black drawer liner to spiff up the inside a little bit.
There was just one problem at the end - the door knob was going to be chipping the paint easily. So, I cut a square of fabric and put a few cotton balls in the inside. Then, I found some black ribbon and tied it on to the door knob. Problem solved!