Monday, November 26, 2007

Our Non-Traditional Thanksgiving!

Some of you may remember that last year for Christmas, David gave me a certificate for a weekend away all together to go and see some snow! Let me explain - I LOVE snow! It is so cozy to be inside when it snows - I love how it looks, smells, makes my cheeks rosy - etc... The next thing you should know is that it does not snow where we live. Ok, maybe once every ten years - I haven't seen any yet in four years. This was such a thoughtful gift and I have been looking forward to it!

We tried every three day weekend last winter and no where was getting any snow within driving distance. When we didn't really have plans for Thanksgiving, we decided to give it a try. We went to North Carolina and had a great time together as a family! We saw GORGEOUS trees (another thing we don't get!), got to wear our COATS! And, yes - it did snow on our last day!!!! It wasn't enough snow to even show in a picture - but, we saw it!

The girls and I enjoy the beautiful leaves!

Stunning!

Yeah! It's getting colder!

We came home the long way around by driving part of the Blue Ridge Parkway - this was definitely a highlight for David and I!

It was so nice to see rocks! Mountains! And, curvy roads!

Here is some snow off in the distance!

We got off the Blue Ridge Parkway at Blowing Rock (Mitford fans remember this is where the books were written) and it was snowing when we arrived. The town square park was decorated for Christmas and it was so charming!

The girls had fun playing at the park!

Especially Emily! When we asked her what her favorite thing was about the trip - she said with a smile, "Snow!" (That's my girl!)

We now have a host of new memories of time spent together to remember our Thanksgiving by! Incidentally, we did get a traditional turkey meal with some friends at a rented house up in the mountains where they were staying!

Hope all of you had a nice Thanksgiving too!

25 comments:

melissa said...

that red tree is just beautiful! Glad it was a good weekend!

Wendi said...

How fun! I love the Blue Ridge Parkway, so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Time with your family IS the best gift!!! I am so glad you got to go away and have a lovely Thanksgiving. Thanks for your blog and all the effort you put forth to bless us with creativity the Lord has most assuredly blessed you with, and your sweet prayers of encouragement and love. tammyp

Liisa said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip! I couldn't imagine not ever having snow...I just love it. The pictures you posted are beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
Blessings,
Liisa

Katy said...

oh what wonderful pics! I live in PA...and we get tons of snow...we have already had some this year! I am not a fan of it! LOL But I think it is great you love it! :) i hope you have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are amazing. We live in Utah and have been surprised this year at the lack of snow on the ground. We usually have some by now. Even my children are starting to wonder. They feel like it won't be Christmas until we get some. I am not to fond of it, as I am CA girl. With that said, love the seasons. I think what makes me not so fond is driving in it. I love seeing the children go out and make snow angels, snowmen. Or Boys trying to make Snow forts.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

That looks so fun! And your girls have such cute and huge smiles:)

My husband, Eric, and I LOVE to drive to far away places together. It's such great time to connect as a couple with the little ones buckled down in the back:)

Paige said...

We are planning a trip up to those lovely mountains when Scott returns. I LOVE going up there, even for one night. Glad you had fun!
p~

Christi said...

What a fun trip - I'm glad you had such a lovely time!

Anonymous said...

Love the photos! So glad you had a fun trip, saw snow, and made new family memories! :)
Love to all, Mom/Grammie

*carrie* said...

Monica,

I love these photos! So glad you had a wonderful time--this was a very thoughtful gift from David.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like y'all had a wonderful time. We get a lot of snow here in WV, usually by the time February rolls around I am ready for the spring thaw. We do enjoy our snow - sleigh riding, building snowmen, making snow ice cream- yum!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you had a good time even if you didn't get much snow. And I love that you have some amazing memories. That is way more important the a traditional Thanksgiving.

It's a Mom Thing said...

What a thoughtful gift from your hubby and a precious memory made with your family. I love the pics and see snow flurries in that last one. YEA!

Anonymous said...

Glad y'all had such a good and safe trip!! :o)

rachelpennington said...

I was born and raised here in north Georgia and it seems like when I was little it snowed every winter. I only remember one white Christmas (barely remember) but at some point during the winter we'd have snow. Now, it rarely ever snows and I just hate that because I love it so much! My hubby does the same thing for me: he packs us up and we head to the Smoky Mtns. :) Last year we lucked out and it snowed several inches. I couldn't have been happier. :)

Amy said...

That all looks so beautiful! If you ever want to experience true snow though, you guys should come to Indiana. There will be more snow than you care to ever see here :) I haven't gotten my fill of it yet, but I know it will be coming!

Great pictures!

Gena said...

Such wonderful pictures and memories! Some of my best childhood vacations were spent in exactly the areas you and your family visited. I am an Atlanta native and have never moved from here, but I have family in NC and I LOVE it there.

Thank you for sharing and making me feel even more Christmas-y.

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see these photos...especially the ones of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Blowing Rock. I went to Mitford Days in Blowing Rock in September and thought it was BEAUTIFUL there. Such great photos! :-)

3boysmama said...

HOw beautiful! As I type it looks like its going to snow outside, but its only 38, so probalby not.

Missy K said...

What a lovely trip-- John and I honeymooned in the Banner Elk/ Blowing Rock area, so your photos brought back sweet memories for me. John has mentioned before the idea of renting a cabin for the Thanksgiving weekend-- we might have to revisit that idea!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I am glad you had some wonderful family time!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip & I love the pictures. I'm so glad it snowed for you just a little bit!
What a wonderful gift from David and the PERFECT time to use it.
You had the best of both seasons, with the pretty fall trees plus some snow! SO glad you could get away.
Also glad you were able to have Thanksgiving Dinner with friends.
It was so good to see your Mom & Dad. We had a GREAT time here.

Lots of love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time with your sweet family! Memories to last a lifetime!

Jthemilker said...

What a lovely trip. We were in Laurinburg, NC for the holiday and enjoyed similar mountain views on our drive home to PA.