Friday, November 16, 2007

Mitford Moments: Beautiful Words

"The Company Stew, which had simmered with the peel of an orange and a red onion stuck with cloves, was a rousing success. In fact, he was so delighted with the whole affair that he relented and let Barnabas into the study after dinner.

Marge helped serve coffee and triple-layer cake from the old high-boy, as the scent of roses drifted through the open window." ~ page 52, At Home in Mitford
I don't know about you - but the descriptive words are so beautiful and draw me in. They make me want to be part of what is described. Is there a way that I can say the same thing only using more beautiful words - I think so, and I want to make it a habit. Not only because I would enjoy it and appreciate it - but I bet those around me would too!

Let's think about it - we are all so charmed with Sense & Sensibility and Anne of Green Gables ~ and the fashion in which they speak to one another. We don't have to say "huh?" and "yeah" to each other all the time - we just choose to. Anyone care to join me in cultivating a habit of speaking more beautifully to one another?

12 comments:

Liisa said...

What a wonderful thought! I never thought about the words I use before...especially to those closest to me and I am sure they would appreciate a nicer choice than yeah and huh!

Blessings,
Liisa

*carrie* said...

Thanks for this reminder, Monica!

Paige said...

I watch a lot of old movies and am struck by how lovely the ladies spoke. Even when they were angry, their words were descriptive and rich, not ignorant and crass. I don't want to seem fake though. Like a "jersey girl" faking a british accent.

Anonymous said...

I have been lurking on your blog for a while and really enjoy its calming effect!

The use of words is something I am learning from one of my daughters in law. She has a tone and way of saying things that show her love. When she talks to her young daughter she will say things like "yes, my baby" and when addressing a niece "Hello, my sweet Jane". These seem so simple but really give the recipient a loved feeling.

Carrie said...

That is a great idea, Monica..Thank You! I just love getting lost in those Mitford books.

Missy K said...

Oh, Monica, you make another great point here, for it is surely true that getting lost in the beautiful, gracious language is one of the reasons we love these sorts of books and movies so much. (Emma, anyone?)

And a wonderful by-product-- if we pause to make our speech more lovely, perhaps we will have a moment to make sure we are expressing to loveliest, most grace-filled ideas and feelings also!

Wendi said...

I am on board for this. I find myself saying yeah instead of yes. I do not want my little one to pick up that habit.

Anonymous said...

Bless you, Monica. This is such a good, positive reminder to us as women, whether married, single, childless, mother or grandmother. In the book, "Caddie Woodlawn," I love the chapter, "Father Speaks." One thing he said was, "It is the sisters and wives and mothers, you know, Caddie, who keep the world sweet and beautiful." Our rough, hurried and consumerist world has moved so far away from that ideal. You, and so many other lovely ladies who are ministering via the Internet, are providing gentle instruction and living examples to exercise the right kind of power in the lives of others. Desert Lady

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Sounds like a wonderful idea! And I have never read any Mitford books, but you have gotten me very curious. I think I would love to read them:)

Melissa said...

I agree wholeheartedly! I will make a point to pay attention to what I am saying and how I am saying it.

Anonymous said...

I bought the entire Anne of Green Gables series at a used book sale a couple of months ago (for $1). I plan on reading them over the cold PA months we are beginning. Your blog is such a wonderful reminder to stop and savor every moment of life! God bless you and Happy Thanksgiving.
Ruth, PA

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a great challenge! We all love reading wonderful words so yes, I would love to join in. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.