Friday, November 02, 2007

Feeling like a thief using coupons?

Dear Walgreens Manager,

I am a regular customer at your store and always appreciate searching the ad for sales and rebates each week. The store is always clean and tidy and I appreciate the availability of sale items that I come in for.

However, I am growing more and more weary of not being treated like a first-class customer just because I am a smart shopper and use coupons and sales to get the best deal I can. I continue to feel like I am an interruption in the cashier's day. I have mentioned this to a manager in person and it seemed fairly unimportant to them as well.

I wonder how educated cashiers are on how coupons work because they frequently make me feel like I'm stealing from the store for getting such good deals. Perhaps it would be appropriate to share with them that coupons are reimbursed from the manufacturer and that your store receives payment for the products it sells regardless of whether I use cash or a coupon.

There is absolutely nothing illegal or unethical about combining sales, rebates and coupons. In fact, it takes a lot of effort and time to be a smart shopper. When I continue to receive this kind of service it is very discouraging to me to want to continue supporting them with my business. And, I wonder how it reflects on Walgreens as a whole. If they are supplying the sales and rebates - is it a crime to take advantage of them?

I would very much like to continue shopping at Walgreens and all I am asking is that you take a moment to read my letter and consider how customers are being treated at your store.

A customer is a customer whether they are a smart shopper who spends a lot of time researching the sales or someone who stops in for an item needed spur of the moment. I will be less likely to be the latter kind of shopper if I am not treated appropriately when being the first kind of customer.

Thank you for your time,
Monica Xxxxx

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear Hear Monica!! Very Eloquently put. I hope they read your letter and take notice. Maybe down the road you will receive better service.

Leah said...

Very well said, Monica! We are getting a new Walgreens near us - they're in the process of building now. If I get the same kind of flack you get, I will be prepared to write the same kind of letter as you! Thank you for being bold, yet courteous. =)

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I've only tried the couponing once (last week).
The manager also checked me out and she commented "I could tell you were a serious shopper when I saw you had coupons" but otherwise was very helpful and chatty. So I don't think it is institutional - it varies store by store.

I have been treated with suspicion and hostility when requesting rain checks or price corrections, though (almost ALWAYS!)

Missy K said...

So well said Monica-- this is great to respond to this issue, but this letter could also serve as a good example of how to respectfully, firmly and specifically address service problems. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica -- a very good letter -- I hope it produces results! Keep us posted...
Love you, Mom

Sarah said...

Good for you, Monica!

Anonymous said...

Good for you girl!!! I will say a prayer for that letter to fall in receptive hands!

*carrie* said...

Monica,

good for you! I wrote a letter to our local grocery store recently after they embarassed me. I had brought my own bags in an attempt to recycle, and the employee was clearly annoyed by it. The manager called me almost immediately and took it very seriously. Let us know if you receive a reply.

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GILR!! Thank you for a wonderful example of how to write a letter to a company. Keep us posted.

Carmen at Old House Homestead said...

Good for you! If everyone who got treated poorly did this I don't think it would happen for very long. Let's all do our part! I think I'll write a letter to our Kroger...I often feel like an inconvenience and a thief for using coupons and getting good deals.

I'll pray for you!

Hugs,
Carmen

Anonymous said...

Very well written. Maybe this will open their eyes to how they're treating their customers! Sorry you were having problems with them!

God bless :)

Wendi said...

Well said! Maybe this letter will not only be an example to your store, but to Walgreen as a whole. I know that when I worked at Chick-fil-A (many, many years ago) all of the comments good or bad would be forward to the corporate office for review.

The Frugal Shrink said...

Good for you, girl! I hope they respond. My local Walgreens is generally really good about the coupons, but I try to check out in cosmetics where they seem to know more. ;)

Liz said...

The other day I was in the grocery store and was trying to explain to the clerk that my sale items had not rung up correctly. The customer behind me said, "You are wasting my time hagling over a DOLLAR!" I was quite annoyed!
Elizabeth

Stephanie said...

Good for you for writing this letter. I have had some of the worst coupon experiences at Walgreens. I have called customer service, but it seems even when they call the store to discuss the problem, nothing really changes. At one store the manager told me it was against his integrity for me to able to use my coupons. I could not believe my ears. Anyways, I march onward and use coupons to save my family money. Being a good steward is what it is all about.

Anonymous said...

I can completely relate to this experience but mine was at Walmart. Our local Walgreens have been very good about the coupons and rebates. While shopping at Walmart one day, I had a ton of coupons, many buy one get one free, and I had a load of groceries. The guy at the checkout was absolutely horrible and belittled me the whole time he was checking out my things. It was so bad that someone in line behind me was upset over it and came to me in the parking lot to say so. I did call the store but there did not seem to be any repercussions. When I tried to email the company, I did not receive any response. So sad.
I hope you get a better response from Walgreens.
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Monica,
Great job. I felt the same way 2 weeks ago when I took them (Walgreens) up on one of their great deals. The cashier treated me as if the savings came out of her paycheck and was very annoyed at me when the item was ringing up wrong and I corrected her on it. Thanks for doing this.
Kelly