Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Dog Biscuits

We have a chocolate lab and she has a love for dog biscuits! She ran out one day last week and I've been wanting to try my hand at making them for a long time, so this was the push I needed.

I used this recipe for Basic Dog Treats. I didn't have any chicken broth on hand, so made mine with bouillon, however I doubled the usual proportions to make it extra rich (ex: instead of 1 tsp. per 1 c. water, I put 1 tsp. per 1/2 c. water). She LOVES these - she stands at the door and begs for one.

They were very simple to make - I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to whip up the dough and didn't even need a rolling pin, I just flattened it out with my hands. I had some bone shaped cookie cutters - but they are a casualty of letting Emily play with the cookie cutters so much! So, I just used a circle and diamond.

As far as cost, I think it would work out to be about the same as buying them on sale. But, it was a great feeling to know I could do it and she loved them!

6 comments:

Liisa said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have made dog treats before but the recipe was complicated. This one seems quite easy and since your dog enjoyed them I know they passed the taste test! ~smile~
We have a yellow lab - once you get through the first year they really are the best family dogs aren't they?
Blessings,
Liisa

Jenn said...

I would think they are healthier for your sweet dog also, without all those things that make them able to stay on the shelf so long. ;-)

Jenn

Molly said...

Thanks for the recipe! We have been wanting to make some of these b/c we can't buy them here, but all the recipes I have call for strange ingredients. These sound really easy and will be a fun project for us this week while Daddy is gone! Doggy will be happy, too! :)

Amy said...

Great idea! This would be a great doggy stocking stuffer too :) We don't have a dog, but I love to see what creative things people do for their animals :)

Wendi said...

Cute. I can see this a Christmas gift for a dog lover or as a gift for a family with a new puppy. In a jar or bag with the recipe and the bone cookie cutter. So cute. Thanks for the inspiration!!

jenny said...

Totally off the subject...are you excited about Jan Karon's new book Home to Holly Springs?