Friday, August 24, 2007

Rainy Day Trunk!

I love Sarah Ban Breathnach's idea in her book, Mrs. Sharp's Traditions, about having a Rainy Day Cupboard. Her idea is that these craft supplies and time occupiers are saved for days when the weather is dreary and children cannot go out. I may end up using ours as a Heat Advisory Trunk instead - but still the same idea!

I have had my collection building over the last several years and think that Emily is just now getting to an age where I could implement this. However, when we cleaned it out earlier this week - she had a ball looking through all the trims and goodies!

My supplies are stored in our living room "coffee table" - which is actually an old steamer trunk. I have paper, old forms (I used to love to play with these), art supplies, a big box of old trims and ribbons, egg cartons and meat trays, etc...

Do any of you have such a spot?

I came across a bunch of these while going through a box of craft supplies David's aunt sent me - are these for embroidery or red-work?

7 comments:

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

All my sewing materials are in a trunk much like yours that I refinished that is in my guest bedroom. I made a cloth liner for it so the material wouldn't get dirty.

Amy said...

I love the trunk idea. I have been looking for a storage ottoman like that. I will keep my eyes peeled for trunks too now :) Great idea for rainy day storage!!

Paula said...

I have a few things like this. I have a box full of craft materials that the girls can make things with. Then I have a box of scrap fabric that the girls can rummage through to make things. Right now, my older two are sewing purses and in the past my oldest has made a few dresses for her doll (to make a dress, simply measure fabric to fit around doll, cut hole for head and arms. I will try to get a tutorial of her doing it). Then I have a box for me to rummage through that has fun craft projects for the girls. These are usually little craft kits I find at garage sales or Salvation Army (make finger puppets, make crowns, etc.). Everything in the kit for you.

Wendi said...

Nothing is more fun then rummaging through a trunk!

A girl I use to work with would save the toys from kid meals. She would put them in a container and pull it out on rainy days. She said that it was hours of enjoyment for her kids!

Anonymous said...

Is that an iron on? It looks like metallic paint in the picture. As far as being for embroidery or red work, I'm not an expert, but you could do either. I've stitched things using only one color thread that wasn't red with beautiful results too. It's all up to you what you want to do. You might even do something different al together with it.

Love the trunk idea!

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Blogged your idea! Love it! Love your site! I've been reading for awhile but haven't had the chance to comment! Hope your bed rest is going ok!!

Kaye said...

Love the rainy day storage idea! Although I have a son who isn't into "crafts" per se, the idea of using art projects and just special toys is a fantastic one! I have a toy box that was mine when I was little and I think this is how I will use it! Thanks for the inspiration!!!