Monday, August 20, 2007
Back To School
Emily seems ready to do something, however small, for schooling this year. So, after talking with a few friends and doing some research myself - this is what our plan is. We will have school 2-3 days per week beginning after Labor Day and our goals are:
* Establish school routines
* Learn to use scissors, how to hold a pencil and start tracing letters. Learn to recognize lowercase letters (she currently recognized uppercase only).
* Continue Scripture memory.
Our material will include:
* Letter of the Week Curriculum
* My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts
* Animals Animals, by Eric Carle
* The Complete Book of Rhymes, Songs, Poems, Fingerplays and Chants
* Music that goes with the rhymes: CD
* Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills (found for $1.00 at Goodwill!); selected pages
* The Pledge of Allegiance, Pledge to the Christian Flag and Pledge to the Bible
I know already that there are MANY options for homeschooling and that some of you will have different opinions on what to choose than what I have selected. This is what seems right and good for Emily and for our family.
But, I am excited about getting started and trust that God will use whatever we do to teach and train Emily to know and love Him as well as be educated in the process! I know that I will also learn things I may want to change in the future - but that is part of the learning process.