Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Knowing My Neighbors

Remember this challenge I posted for myself? Monday, I pulled all the small loaves of bread I'd been saving from the freezer - banana, oatmeal and poppy seed. I had seven small loaves.

Then, I wrote this poem:
A neighbor is someone who is friendly and kind
One who waves a "hello" passing by!

We want to be a friendly neighbor to you, so
We brought a small gift just to let you know!

Hope you enjoy and that it just makes your day
Brings a smile to your face and brightens your way!

From your neighbors at .........
Then, I printed it out and cut them out attaching to scraps of paper left from this project. I put a label on the back stating the kind of bread they were receiving.


Yesterday morning, I put all the loaves in a basket and loaded up the little ladies into our red wagon. Emily had fun placing the note and loaf of bread on each porch. We started out with the houses the farthest from ours. When we get home, I plan to cut some flowers and do another batch of breads to get to the next how ever many homes. Anyone else been reaching out to your neighbors? I'd love to hear your stories!

15 comments:

*carrie* said...

Great idea, Monica! You are so thoughtful and hospitable. I wish I was your neighbor--for lots of reasons. Love you, me

Melissa said...

I've never done anything like that. I really need to, though. That could be a fun summer project for me & my daughter.

Thanks for the inspiration!

~~Deby said...

lovely.....how can we reach our WORLD for the Lord..one by one as we let our light shine and good works speak for ourselves...I think this is the first time at your blog....LOVE IT...
Deby

Anonymous said...

Monica,
I have been enjoying your blog for several weeks now and loving it. I thought I would begin by saying hi to my blogroll "neighbor" with an invite to you and your readers to come over and play Kitchen Bingo.

Blessings,
Peggy

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

I love this idea.

I used to do this at Christmas. One year, a neighbor brougt back the plate of goodies. He/she rang the doorbell, put the plate on the doorstep and left before I opened the door. :-)

It's a Mom Thing said...

I love your idea, Monica! What a great way to meet your neighbors and really "love on them."

Amy said...

I wish you were my neighbor :) Great job, Monica! You are very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica - what a great idea! And good for you for following through and also involving the little ladies. What a great example to live out for them --

Love to all of you, Mom

LA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah DeSalvo said...

I found your website through my friend Joy's blog - what an encouraging and uplifting blog you have! I will keep stopping by your blog. You have so many good ideas and encouraging words for moms!
Sarah at www.xanga.com/junglewife

Sonya said...

Wonderful idea! We just had a new neighbor move in so I think I'll do something like this for her. I think it's a great way to break the ice with neighbors!

Leah said...

What a kind and thoughtful neighbor you are! I'm with Carrie ~ I wish I was your neighbor! Hmmmm, let's see ~ that makes TWO people who want you to move to Iowa! =)

Amberly said...

What a great idea! I'm a failure when it comes to reaching out to neighbors. Good for you for making that effort!

Sarah and Jack said...

This is a lovely idea.

Jodi Ohl said...

I think that's a lovely thing to do for your neighbors. I live out in the country so not a whole lot of people live near me, but I will reach out to the couple that are nearby thanks to your inspiring act of kindness.

lucy