Monday, April 16, 2007

Strawberries!

Friday morning I took the little ladies strawberry picking! We had a great time and the weather was just perfect! It was not too hot and there was a breeze to keep the bugs off of us! I had so many pictures, I had to do them in collages to show them all! Enjoy the fun!

Strawberry fields beckoning us to come and pick!
Emily picks a strawberry.
Look at all the lovely berries waiting to be harvested!

Emily carries both buckets ~ but is more interested in eating the berries than picking them!

Emily, Rachel in the Snugli and me!
Emily digging into her picnic lunch!
SURPRISE! Look who showed up! Daddy!

Doesn't Rachel look cute?! Her outfit and hat have strawberries on them and it quotes the Fruit of the Spirit ~ Galatians 5:22. I just had to put this on her to go picking today! :)
Two buckets full of beautiful berries! Yummy!


Our picnic lunches were in brown paper bags that I had decorated with Strawberry Shortcake stickers and our names. Each bag had flower shaped peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich, tortilla chips and a brownie. Emily had strawberry banana juice in her sippy cup and of course, we had fresh strawberries. I packed each lunch in a red enamelware bowl that we could use to eat out of. Each food item was wrapped up in parchment paper and tied with a red ribbon - on the front was a Strawberry Shortcake sticker. The tortilla chips were put in parchment as well - I just folded one end and stapled it and then staped it half way up to make a little sack. The little doll is a Strawberry Shortcake keychain that Emily got in her stocking two years ago - I thought it would be a fun thing for her to play with.

I also brought a book about the Fruit of the Spirit and read that while we were eating our picnic lunch.

Before we went I was trying and trying to think of a charming container to put our berries in. Everything was either too big, without a handle or a basket that I did not want to ruin. But, then I opened Emily's craft stuff and found these two buckets that had ribbon stored in them. They came with tulips in them, so were already lined with plastic. They are made out of very thin wood. I poked a hole in each side with a long screw and tied twine through to make a handle - aren't they adorable!? I was so excited.

Everything we used were things we already had - total cost for this outing: $6.00 (4 pounds freshly picked strawberries at $1.50/pound)

"The Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." ~ Galatians 5:22

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!! How wonderful!!! We won't see strawberries on the vine until min-June in PA. How lucky you are to partake of this jewel this time of the year!
Ruth, PA

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had so much fun! I love that you packed a picnic lunch and Rachel's outfit is too cute!!

Paula said...

You're "strawberry-filled" day sounds delightful! Thank you for sharing pictures with us.

Anonymous said...

You're the best at coming up with themed activities, and following through with them!

Thanks for listening this morning--N is finally asleep. Hope you're feeling better. Love you! me

Anonymous said...

Monica
It sounds so fun!! I love your themed ideas too. You need to compile things like this into a book for people like myself who can't seem to come up with things like this.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness -- how adorable! What precious memories you are creating for Emily and Rachel! :)Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us!

Love, Mom

Susan P. said...

Monica, you have the been given such a wonderful gift~ you know how to make every day special for your family:) They will have many great memories to "tuck away" in their hearts! Strawberries, YUMMY!

Jthemilker said...

I love your blog... it's so down-home and wholesome... and this trip is like a fairy tale. I love it!!!

Tracy said...

I'm with Grace...you definately need to compile these ideas into a book. Although I'm very grateful you share them with us in your blog!

PS- Strawberries in Michigan don't come out until June : (

Anonymous said...

What a special day!!! I love the description and pictures of your lovingly packed lunch! Your little one's strawberry outfit is also adorable!! I wish we had somewhere near here where we could go strawberry pickin'! :) What a sweet, sweet Mommy!! *Smiles* Cassidy

Kim said...

What a sweet fun filled day with your family! Thank you so much for sharing your pictures!

Amy said...

Great pictures and ideas for a themed get together! I love it!