Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Family Tree



I saw this idea in a catalog that came and I loved it! However, the price tag was not loved by my budget! So, I figured I could probably make it and here is what I came up with:

I cut a piece of parchment looking paper to fit the frame for the background. I cut a tree shape out of a piece of scrap paper and then cut two out of brown paper. Then I used stamps to create the leaf shapes, though you could do it from a cookie cutter, stencil or even free hand. I wrote the family member's name and birthdate and attached them in proper order on the tree. One side is for David's family and one side is for my family's history.

To get these 8x10 frames - I combined a 50% off sale and a gift card I had and spent a total of $8 for both. The paper was just a couple of dollars.

The tree ends on my generation. So, I wanted to make something for each of our children to hang underneath. I cut a piece of parchment looking paper to fit the frame for the background. And, used a larger leaf shape stamp for these. Then I wrote their names and birthdates on these leaves.

For these frames - I chose black so that I can add to them without them all having to match exactly. I got these on a 40% off sale for about $4 each.

Total spent: less than $20
Special thanks to both of our moms for helping us gather this family history information!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica -- this turned out awesome! Great job :)

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Monica,
WOW - you always do such an amazing job with your projects...you are so very creative! I enjoy seeing how you take an idea and do it yourself for far less the cost. Keep up the good work! Have a wonderful day :)

Blessings,
Michelle (from MI)

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I've wanted to do the one from Red Envelope for a long time, but it is WAY too costly at $120.

Going up the trunk of the tree what family members' names did you but there? aunts, uncles, grandparents?

Anonymous said...

That is just BEAUTIFUL!!!! You did a wonderful job. I especially love how you added your little ones underneath with their pictures. Very creative.

Amy said...

These are beautiful, Monica! You should be so proud of yourself. What a beautiful way to display your heritage!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Thanks, everyone! :)

Angel - Here is what I did for the generations:

Tree Trunk: my generation (that is why my girls are in frames underneath)

Then: my parents at the fork in the tree - one arm of the tree follows my Mom's genealogy and one my Dad's ~ same on David's.

So, it went back to my great-grandparents on both sides. I would loved to have done more - but honestly, it was hard enough finding some of the info for only three or four generations!

elizabeth said...

Oh I love this idea and thank you so much for sharing it with us! Though the Red Envelope idea is great, there is no way I would spend that much on it. Your version is just as nice and everybody can do it!!! :)

Sarah E. said...

Absolutely Love It!

Rmomof3 said...

What a precious idea! I will have to remember this! I love it! It looks fabulous!

Sweet blessings!
Renee

Sonya said...

These are so cute and unique! Thanks for the idea! I feel Christmas gifts coming on! You did a great job!