Thursday, February 15, 2007

Denim Glove & Hat Organizer


I wish I had taken a picture of my entry way closet before I started this project! Because, let's just say, it was NOT working! It contained our vacuum, four folding chairs, four TV trays, coats, hats/gloves/scarves and misc other things. And, it is a SMALL closet!

So, I had enough with dealing with it so disorderly. We have really high ceilings in the living area and entry way and I decided that our shelf was not being used efficiently. I removed the TV trays and put them under the spare bed. Now our coats actually hang - and if you come and visit (I wish you would!) I will actually have room to hang your coat!

I removed the basket of hats/gloves and decided that having that stuff sit in a basket on a shelf was wasting space. I challenged myself, once again, to use what I already had on hand to organize this space and not spend anything. So, something I have in abundance is old denim - jeans with holes in them and paint stains. I can easily cut around those areas.

And, this hanging organizer was born! I cut a leg off of a pair of jeans and cut down one side so that when I opened it flat it was a bigger piece of denim. That formed the backing and is why the backing is not perfectly straight as legs of jeans are tapered. Then I sewed pockets and made "pockets" to hold gloves and hats. Scarves are hanging on a hanger next to this.

For the shelf - I found some empty crates and stacked them allowing for storage of board games, vacuum attachments and a few gardening items. There is still more space to add if I want to or need to. Even better? Moving all the games to the shelf emptied an ENTIRE shelf in the linen closet - so now I have some extra space there too!

I'm realizing that just because I have something somewhere, doesn't mean it is the best or most efficient space - so I'm trying to think outside of that and think is there a better place I could store that?

Now, when I want to be inspired - I just head over to the entry way closet and have a look and let out a big sigh of relief that it looks so much better!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

My entry way closet is a diaster. I really need to clean it out but just thinking about it is overwhelming.

I really enjoyed reading all the entries for your Blog Tea Party. It was a lot of fun!!

Blessings
Lisa

Jenn said...

I made your recipe for Pasta E. Fagioli yesterday, and yum yum was it great with a TBSP of romano over the top! I made mine into a crockpot recipe and changed it slightly, not sure if yours was stovetop or crock. Anyhow I ran it thru a nutritional calculator so I could have the counts since I am on a weight loss crusade now. Here it is:

Pasta E. Fagioli for the Crockpot

1 small can of Goya small white beans
1 small can of Goya red kidney beans
1- 28. oz can of diced tomatoes
1- 28. oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 small jar of pasta sauce (no meat)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 large carrots, sliced
1 pound of lean ground beef
1 pound of ditalini pasta

Fat: 7.8g Carbohydrates: 46.4g Calories:308.0
Protein: 15.7g

Brown 1 lb. of ground beef with diced onions. Toward
end of cooking time, add garlic for a minute,
stirring. Drain and add to crockpot.

Open all cans at once. Drain beans. Dump into the
crockpot the two beans, the diced tomatoes, and
crushed tomatoes. Next add the pasta sauce. Add 2 tsp.
italian seasoning. Add carrots and celery. Stir and
cover.

Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low all day. Cook
pasta seperately, and add 1/2 cup to each bowl before
pouring the soup over it.

It's a Mom Thing said...

Pretty cool! I need to do that with a couple of closets. It just saves so much space on the shelf and floor.
Oh, and I enjoyed looking at the V-day participants. I just couldn't get to it, but I liked seeing everyone else's.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Lisa! Thanks again for joining the wedding celebration! :) Much more fun than cleaning out entry way closets don't you think?!

Hi Jenn - glad you enjoyed the recipe! I think it was orginally for a crock pot, though I do it on the stove.

Miriam - glad you enjoyed reading everyone's entries! I did too!

Chrissy said...

I don't think we're actually *that* far away from each other as the crow flies...

Gini (Hallquist) Young said...

Your post was inspiring. I also need to make better use of my wonderful but small space (house). I've been putting it off, but I think I'll begin to tackle it tomorrow. Not to mention the use what you have concept. I will challenge myself to not spend a dime, but to simply repurpose things.

mama k said...

Cute organizer!
I just found your blog and will be adding it my list. : )