Monday, January 15, 2007

Word Signs

This idea was born when I was trying to decorate on the cheap for Emily's nursery! I have given several sets as gifts including personalized with baby's name:

Here's how to make these:

Paint 2 8x10 canvas boards with desired background color. Let dry.
Type up words in Word (I used Times New Roman font size 160) and print out one word per page.
Use an x-acto knife to cut out black print and make a stencil (save any pieces needed to make the letter like the circle inside the 'b').
Lay the stencil centered on one board and use contrasting color to paint - lift stencil and discard. Let paint dry.
Hot glue ribbon or fabric scraps to the back to make a tie for hanging!
Cost: about $3 per set of two signs.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I love this!

I'm sorry I haven't commented as much lately. I have been helping out with my mom and I haven't had time to post or comment very much.

Blessings to you and you family!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! You have such inexpensive, doable ideas. Thanks for sharing your creativity with the blog world.

Susan P. said...

This is such a wonderful and easy idea. Thanks again~ Have you made anything from Paula's cookbook yet?

Chrissy said...

Precious!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Let me know if you try these! :) Glad you liked the idea...

Susan - I have not had a chance yet, but keep thinking I need to sit down and look at it more to decide what I want to make! :)

Mary Ann said...

These are cute! Thanks for another inexpensive shower gift idea!

It's a Mom Thing said...

Those look beautiful. I choose to paint the plain wooden letters for my daughter's room, but this is a more frugal option. I like them alot!