Friday, January 12, 2007

Snow Party: Food Ideas

Continuing with ideas for a snow-themed party, this installment will focus on food! At our party - we're having lunch, so I wanted everything to fit the theme. Here is what I have in mind:

For lunch:
White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese: I will also provide raisins and carrot sticks so the children can make snowman faces in their bowl!
Fruit salad with mini marshmallows
Milk
Cupcakes: see here for my inspiration on these! I'm not planning this exact thing - but something similar.

Now, for the fun touches! Again, the inspiration came from this magazine! I tried to figure out how to do as many of these ideas as I could on a BUDGET!

So, to serve milk: I got out my glass pitcher and cut out eyes, nose and mouth from scrap paper. I taped these to the outside of the pitcher:

This way, I'd know where to "paint" on the melted chocolate to form the snowman face! I melted chocolate chips in the microwave for the eyes and mouth and painted them on with a q-tip. Then I melted a few white chocolate chips and added food coloring to make them orange and painted on the nose. I removed the white paper from the outside and it is stored in my freezer until I'm ready to use it!

Now, each guest will receive their own snowman water bottle to drink out of! In the magazine, they had darling glass ones - but these are just washed out used water bottles with the label removed. I taped a piece of white paper around the middle and drew three buttons. Then on top is a large marshmallow with a face drawn on and orange yarn tied around for a scarf. From the magazine, I learned about these great markers made by Wilton. They are in the cake decorating aisle (I found them at Michael's with a 40% off coupon) and the "ink" is edible! So, you can draw on food, etc... and still enjoy it! I can tell I'm going to LOVE these! Here's how the water bottles turned out:

Ok, ok, I know - I'm getting carried away - but this stuff is just so much fun! So, since I already had the markers - I decided why not? This is the one and only idea on this page that I thought of myself! Aren't these adorable!?

Coming up: Craft, Devotion and Favors

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These things are darling!

Anonymous said...

Ya'll ought to see the nifty mints she did. Much fun will be had by all, I am sure!

Mom2fur said...

Wow, you are so clever! I love the snowman water bottle--too adorable. When my son was six, I did an outer-space themed party for him. It was so much fun to plan everything around a theme! And the kids loved it. I bet everyone attending your party will talk about it for a long time, they'll have such a blast!

Anonymous said...

You're my own personal Martha Stewart! Forget her site, I come here for inspiration (and to just sigh in awe at your craftiness). Your party looks awesome!

-Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Monica -- this is all adorable! What amazing ideas and gifts you have!

I love you and I'm proud of you!

I hope the people who are able to come to your snow party have as much fun as those of us who are enjoying it via your blog!

Love, Mom

Susan P. said...

Monica, your ideas are absolutely adorable. What a fun party it is going to be! A perfect way to celebrate the winter season:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. I feel like I've "attended" your party because of what you've written and pictured.

It's a Mom Thing said...

I wish I lived closer and I might suck up my pride and invite MYSELF to your parties. These ideas are awesome and I know you'll have a blast at your Snow Party!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Miriam - you would be more than welcome anytime! :) Hope your retreat was a blessing last weekend!