Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Prayer Closet

I feel like prayer is a real area of weakness for me. Finding a regular, quiet and concentrated time to talk to God is hard - because I get so easily distracted by things I think need to be done right at that moment. So, last summer (2005) when I was in Colorado, I was sitting in church and felt like God was inspiring me with the idea of a prayer closet. I have a big walk-in closet, and the thought was that I should clean out one part and make it a retreat where I can go and talk to God about the things nearest to my heart.

So, finally - over a year later, I am getting this set up. I share this with you for two reasons. One, because some of the crafty things I think you might enjoy also. And, two - to ask how you keep track of prayer requests and praises. Do you have a journal, an index card box, a photo album with photos of those you want to pray for? I'd really appreciate hearing what works for you as I can get so overwhelmed with all the things there are to pray for and sometimes just give up.

I am just beginning the process of figuring out what works for me - but the first thing I needed was a quiet and undistracted place. This is what I came up with:

This memo board can hold favorite quotes, verses or prayer requests. I think of it as a place that will inspire me to pray and worship God. You can find the directions to make this board here.

I needed some sort of light as there is only a big overhead light and I wanted something more peaceful and calm. I found this little battery operated lamp in the camping section of Wal-Mart. Perfect!
Then, I needed some sort of little table to keep my prayer box or journal and the lamp on. (See finished box above with lamp and box on it!) I created this out of an empty diaper box and covered it with toile fabric. You could either staple (using a heavy duty staple gun) or hot glue the fabric over the box. It fits perfectly - and I especially like reusing something that would otherwise be trash.

This sign will be kept on the memo board, but when it is on the door knob that means I am praying and do not want to be disturbed unless it is an emergency, of couse.

Then, I needed some place to sit/kneel - I thought just sitting on the floor would eventually get uncomfortable and therefore distracting. So, I made these two pillows and set one against the wall (under my shorter hanging clothes) and the other on the floor.

All of these things will make a more comfortable environment...now, I need to work on the discipline of prayer and make it a daily reality in my life.

Matthew 6:6, "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father who is unseen."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas that you have - both in decorating and of use of the space that you have. And, I like the idea of an "in use" note on the doorknob.

I have used a couple different ways to pray for people. One is a 4x6 index box. Each person has a card with prayer requests listed, as well as a photo. My hubby and I are missionaries overseas, so this really works well to remember people we've only met once.

The other idea that I like (that acutally works better for just me) is a notebook. Each week I print off a "Prayer Sheet" that is divided into 5 days with specific areas laid out. For example, Monday is for friends, Thursday for my family, Friday for my husband's family, etc... Before I print the sheet, I have typed in who to pray for, etc... and then as things come up, I write them in.

I look forward to what other people use for their quiet times as well! :) Blessings to you as you seek to know the Lord better through your prayer closet!

PS - a couple of good books:
The Valley of Vision
Prayers Women Pray by Sherrer/Garlock

The Frugal Shrink said...

Monica, this is completely brilliant! What a fantastic idea. I'm struggling with how to keep track of prayer requests, too. Trying to keep them in my brain is no longer cutting it. I don't think a journal will work for me, though. Let me know what you decide to use!

Anonymous said...

Another great idea from the Homespun Heart. I too have a walk in closet that could be used as a prayer closet. What a great motivation to clean it out and make some space. I like the idea of index cards. That way you could just go through the box. everytime you pray.

Thanks for another inspirational idea.

Blessings
Lisa

Monica Wilkinson said...

Wow - thanks for all the great ideas! I think I'm going to start off with a box that I can put cards in and list the person's name and then requests under that. I also really like the weekly "Prayer Sheet" idea - so may use these in combination or try one and then the other for a while. I'll post an update in a few weeks so we can see how things are going. If any of you try something new - let me know what you tried and how you liked it!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! This is something I need to implement here...now if I can just find a place!

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica,

Lots of us have good ideas -- you follow through on yours! Great results for your prayer closet --

I love you and am so thankful for you!

Blessings, Mom

Andrea said...

I love this idea--so beautiful! I am drawn to your blog because I am from South Carolina--but now we live in NY. I miss the South. :)

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful!! I love the idea and you have challenged me in the area of my prayer life. I know this is an old article since I have been reading your archives. Do you still use your prayer closet? If so does it look the same? What changes have you made?

Wanda said...

This is perfect! I don't have a closet it my house suitable for this, but I can certainly carve out an area of my bedroom. I like the idea of a closet though for one addtional reason than you have mentioned: Remember as little children hiding in the closet or playing in the closet? What better a place to remember that we are children of God! Great post! Great idea! Thanks for the inspiration!