Thursday, October 19, 2006

Baby Shower Ideas: Devotion

Here is the devotion we did at my sister's baby shower:

Team:

Two or more harnessed draft animals. A group of players in a game. A group organized to work together.

God’s Word says:

Exodus 17:8-13,

“The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim. Moses said to Joshua, ‘Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands.’

So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up – one on one side, one on the other – so that his hands remained steady until sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.”

Zephaniah 3:9, “Then I will purify the lips of the peoples, that all of them may call on the name of the Lord and serve him shoulder to shoulder.”

Acts 1:14, “They all joined together constantly in prayer…”

Matthew 18:20, “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am with them.”

Application:

Carrie needs a team to come alongside her and hold up her arms when they grow weary. Raising a child is a task that at times may feel like fighting a battle – a battle against those things that are contrary to God’s Word or choices she and Eric have made for their family. WE can be the Aaron and Hur in her life – WE can come alongside her and hold her arms up – WE can join together in prayer – WE can stand shoulder to shoulder with her in support.

Each of us is a piece of the puzzle that forms the support network around Carrie and Eric. And, each of us has been given special gifts from God. The things we contribute to others are the things God has invested in us – with the great desire and faith that we will use these things for His glory.

Pass out puzzle pieces. Write your name in a small place somewhere on each piece. Pass them around and write words or phrases describing the blessings you have experienced from knowing that person.

Put the puzzle together – look at the incredible network we have together to offer one another! Each person gets to take their pieces home to remember to pray for Carrie and Eric – and to remember the vital role you play in being a piece of their puzzle!


* Note: The stand shoulder-to-shoulder concept was one that we were challenged to embrace when I was working at Glen Eyrie and I have never forgotten that!

I made this puzzle by inserting a puzzle graphic into a word processing document. I made the graphic fill the entire page. Then I colored it in and took it to a copy shop and had it enlarged to an 11 x 17 page and copied in color. I have several copies so I don't have to do this every time I use it, as I have used this for multiple devotions through the years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Great idea. I will use this for a baby shower this weekend!!! Go bless you!