Monday, July 31, 2006

Feeling Crafty

The day before Rachel was born, I was feeling crafty - so my Mom and I made these cute ornaments. I'm planning to save a couple for nursery workers or others that I want to give a small Christmas remembrance to.

Here is how to make these simple and homespun ornments:

Supplies:
2 1/2 inch styrofoam ball
1/4 yard total of three fabrics torn into 2 inch strips (we bought 1/4 yard of each of three fabrics and made three ornaments out of that amount)
1 inch straight pins
Hot glue
White thread/needle
Twine or ribbon for hanger

Stitch together the ends of one of each piece of fabric. Braid pieces together - when you need to add more fabric, tie a new piece on and trim the ends - working the knot into the braid. Pin the sewn end of the braid to the styrofoam ball with straight pins and work in a spiral motion around the ball, pinning the braid as you go. Trim the braid to the needed length and pin the end securely. Make a loop of twine or ribbon and hot glue on to the top of the ornament. Done!

2 comments:

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

Oh, I'm going to have my mom bring the stuff to make these! We have such similar taste!!
How are you feeling? How's Rachel?
Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica,

It was fun to make these with you and it will be another memory to add to our Christmas tree. :)

Love, Mom