Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Porch Picnic



Here are some pictures from the picnic we had last night on our porch! It was so fun ~ I wish I had thought to eat out there before now. There was a slight breeze which kept the bugs away and I had red and white citronella candles around the porch railing, though they did not stay lit very long with the breeze.

I used old white sheets for the underneath layers of table coverings and dyed them in tan Rit dye ~ I had tried tea-staining, but it did not work the way I was hoping for.

David cooked hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill and we had chips, carrots, apple slices, baked beans, and apple pie with ice cream. I poured water and sweet tea into pint size canning jars and place a lemon slice in each one. Then put all the jars into a big enamelware tub filled with ice to keep everything cold and looking cute! :)

David's Dad came and my friend Christy and her two children ~ her husband is in the military, so this was our opportunity to thank them for their involvement in serving our country. We played croquet and the two little girls enjoyed playing and taking a wagon ride!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful!

That is one thing our house lacks, a real porch.

We have a stoop out front and a deck out back but it isn't covered.

My old neighbor had a lovely porch and they would even sleep out there sometimes.

They would hang ferns every year that made it very private.

I always envied that porch!

:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica:
What a GREAT idea! It all looks SO cute & patriotic.
You are indeed so clever.
We had company for supper last night too, but had to have an "indoor picnic", because as you know I don't have a porch (but oh how I wish I did.) Congrats on your creativity!
Love you, Grandma

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica;

Your picnic turned out darling!! I'm so glad your friend, Christy and her children could join you -- as well as Bill, of course!

This is a perfect example of the "Mitford" attitude!!

Love you -- Mom