Thursday, January 19, 2006

Homemade Staples

No, I haven't resorted to bending and forming my own staples for holding papers together! I'm talking about food staples!

Aside from the usual tips for saving on your grocery bill: clipping coupons, shopping sales, not buying convenience foods, etc... I also like to make some things from scratch. I know others of you do too, as I've been reading such posts on your blogs lately!

Two of my favorite recipes for these homemade food items are for Cream Soup Mix and Maple Syrup. I store both in the refrigerator in glass canning jars. Enjoy!

Maple Syrup

Combine in saucepan:
1 3/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. water

Bring to a boil, cover, and cook one minute. Cool slightly.

Add:
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. maple flavoring

Cover saucepan for a few minutes as syrup cooks to melt down crystals; helps prevent syrup from crystallizing later in storage.

From: More With Less Cookbook


Cream Soup Mix

2 c. powdered milk
3/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. chicken bouillon
2 Tbsp. onion flakes
1 tsp. basil leaves
1 tsp. thyme, ground
1/2 tsp. pepper

Mix all ingredients in an airtight container. When you have a recipe that calls for cream of chicken soup, blend 1/3 c. of dry mixture with 1 1/4 c. cold water. Cook, stirring until thickened. Use as recipe requires.

From: Joan Nusbaum

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

My mom used to made that kind of syrup for us growing up--minus the maple flavoring. Ours was a little thinner than the commercial syrups are, but we loved it, especially warm.

Megan said...

Ha! When I read your title, I totally though you were actually making your own staples.

Only Monica... :)

Just kidding - I appreciate the recipes though. I'll be looking at those more carefully soon!

Also, have you seen this gal's blog: http://www.liquidpaper.typepad.com/ She is super crafty and I really enjoy seeing all the things she makes. Thought you might too.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Yes, I had a feeling someone would think I was making my own staples! (Not that I might not try sometime! ha!)

Ok, seriously - I have not heard of the blog you mentioned, Megan, and after a quick glance can tell it will be one I visit often.

Kathryn, yes - you are right that the homemade syrup is a bit thinner than store bought - but just as tasty!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea! May I suggest tho you call it maple flavored syrup instead of maple syrup for those who have allergies or a strict diet and need to know it is flavored?